TREK TO KARNALA FORT

 The STATE of Maharashtra is famous for its culture, the Maratha Empire that spanned almost all of Maharashtra, the city of Mumbai and its many many forts that had been built in the various periods of the Maratha rule. One among them is the Karnala Fort which is located in present day Raigad district of Maharashtra. The fort is located on top of a mountain that is now called the Karnala peak named after the fort that is located at the top. The area surrounding the peak is now part of the Karnala bird sanctuary which is deciduous forest that is home to a number of migratory and indigenous species of birds. This also one of the famous trekking spots that attract people during the winter and monsoon times.

 Ever since I joined my college and heard about the peak I had been planning to take the trek, I had visited the Karnala forest a few times before with family and for academic purposes but never got a chance to explore the compound or take the trek.

Few visits to the Karnala had only made me more determined to take the trek. So one day I just took the decision and took the only mode of transport that I had then and headed to the Karnala. I would say that was a bad decision of mine to take the trek in middle of the summer. It was very hot and dusty. I rode through the dry landscapes to hit every nira shop I could find. I was not sweating at all I guess all the sweat that came out was instantly vaporised leaving behind no residue at all. Bad decision, bad decision…….these words keep echoing in my mind. I just went on as it was a mere 15 km from my hostel,but unlike other areas like Mumbai, Raigad is hilly area with a lot of ups and downs ,twists and turns to the roads. It took me about 2 hours to travel a distance of 15 km and I was tired too and was fully dehydrated .

 But Karnala was a totally different thing. I reached Karnala by around 11 30 am. The tress provided shade from the intense heat of the summer and the calmness soothes you. Since I was tired from the ride, decided to take rest before taking the trek and found one shaded region to lie down. Using my bag as pillow I slept for a while. When I woke up it was around 2 pm the sun was going soft and I was feeling a bit hungry. I went on to a snack parlour and had a little neera and pav bhaji. The sun was still hot and I after facing the intense heat of the summer while was not ready to do the climb in the same way but time was at the essence as the park will close by 7 and I had to make it back by that time.

 With half a mind I started the climb by around 3 pm. The forest is semi deciduous hence the climate was all dry but still the trees provided shade from the sun. The dry landscape was all that had greeted me in the beginning, but as I went further the trees were getting greener and the temperature was getting cooler. The only way that leads to and from the fort is small and it was easy to get lost in them and lose our way as there were other small paths that were going to different parts of the forest. The lack of people in the area also made me fear the worst.

 The walk wasn’t quite as tiring as I thought the narrow bends that wend up in small slopes to reach the top of a plane area. Even though the place was dry, it was calm and comforting. Slowly I started to make the climb seeing all the nature around me and hearing the beautiful songs of the birds chirping around the area.

 As I went further i could see a dry lake in front of me, probably dry due to the summer heat that hit the area. The summer season is about to end that is the only hope that we had escaping from the treacherous heat that had hit Maharashtra and caused drought making the availability of even water scarce. But in this forest at this time none of this affected me because I had water and the climate was treating me good. I guess forest is better than city or maybe i am more suited to this kind of lifestyle .

After completing the 1 ½ hour climb I could see the Karnala fort at a distance, no more climbs just a short walk ahead. The fort, not a magnificent building of some sort. It was a simple structure that was carved out of stone and built by stone. I think the stone must have been from around the building as the area has lot of quarries and the brick for the construction must have been carried to top by the labourers that built the fort. The stones that held the structure are held together by lime mortar that has been the most common aggregate that was used during the period.

The thing that is very exciting of the fort is the location of the fort. The fort at the top of the mountain top stands as the beacon of the Maratha power that ruled the area a hundred years ago. The structure shows the sheer enormity of the effort that the Maratha people undertook to remain in power for such a long period of time. The sad part being that the structure is being neglected now more than ever and is rotting on top of a hill.

 The fort may have been used as a watch tower for the places that are far and wide, as it is on one of the highest position in the area. The main potion of the fort is built on a plane ground but the area that leads to it has structures on different levels with the main entrance on the top of it the stairs. The hill had been carved in order to make a plane base for the structure on top

From the top we can see mountainous landscape that spread far and wide, as far as the eyes can see, no wonder this area has been used as the watchtower by the Maratha Empire to have a lookout for any incoming attacks that may come from any direction. This watchtower has served them well for a long period that they reigned over the area. The fort had some religious places as well which meant the guards like that of the Alibaug fort had stayed a period of time before they were relieved of their duty.

 The area had a calming effect when u see all the landscape around you. Though the place all look dry when start the climb the agglomeration of the forest area provide a green feeling to the landscapes below us. The sheer height in which we stands atop all that is around gives us the feeling that we have power over them watching them from a position of advantage like a hawk seeing its pray.

 The wind continuously flow in the top of the mountain so all the tired feeling that existed vanished with the movement of time ,the evening sun was shining on top of the mountain and it was getting to be dark ,I have to go down ,the park will close in about 2 hours’ time. Still i asked for 5 more minutes to myself and sat there. Suddenly I noticed that the wind that was blowing continuously had come to a standstill and there was all silence around the place. The rustling of the leaves stopped and I could not hear the sound of one single bird. I got up suddenly and checked what happened, what is causing the deafening silence that I hated.

 I realised with a surprise that the climate had grown darker at a distance and dust started to fly up from all around the place. It was first time that I am seeing such an event. After about 2 minutes the water started falling all around me with the dust rising from the ground that is when I realised what was happening. It was raining in Karnal. Never have I watched the rain starting from the top of a mountain but it was beautiful and breath-taking all at once. Suddenly all the sounds that were silenced were all around me. I guess they are celebrating the arrival of the long awaited rain. i was hearing the sound of the rain drops hitting the dry ground, the fresh smell of the wet soil ,all the birds singing all around me. This is the first time that occurred to me that the nature holds hidden treasures within itself and one must be within to understand what.

 .

 I started the decent through the forest that was no longer dull but filled with life and I never had the deafening silence that I had to face on the way up when I went down and I didn’t feel alone in the place that was literally deserted except for the trees and the birds that were now drenched in the rain.

 I came down in fast pace with lot of energy left to spare. I guess I was recharged from the trip than tired. I thanked the guard for keeping a watch on the bicycle and went back home. When I told my friends the experience they were all excited to take the trip but none who went after me had the same thing as that of mine, I guess that treasure was only for me to discover. The other that went found their own individual treasures and came back rich in their own way. It’s a matter of experience and joy of learning new things that last rather than the trip itself.


 Ask anyone who had taken the same trek you will get a different answer all together. Even though I haven’t had much hardship taking the trek this one way as fruitful as any in terms of gaining experience. This shall remain a memory that will be remembered for all time.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TREK OF SOLITUDE : Agastyamala ...

THE LONGEST TRIP